Friday, March 18, 2011

South Africa travel planning

The countdown to South Africa continues. We are nailing down final plans. My brother is not sure if he can get the extended amount of time off for the two weeks we will be there, so Mom and I are planning to go to Capetown ourselves! That will be an adventure. He will try to join us if he can, but he's not sure yet. So I booked the flights from Johannesburg to Capetown last night. I was going to try to book the hotel and tours today, but realized that my brother must have better knowledge of the goings-on there than I do. I cannot tell from here what companies might be scams, or if they're overcharging for something. So I appealed to Mom to talk to him about just making the basic arrangements for us from there. When she requested this, it comes out that not only would it be easier for him to do this from there, he actually know the General Manager of the hotel we're trying to book. So of course he'll have an easier time booking this for us! And getting my requests of a top floor and a room facing Table Mountain! So good for that. So for Capetown, we are going to try to visit Camps Bay, Robben Island, Table Mountain and Cape Point. Then Mart (my brother) is going to get his friend to book us a trip to a place called Stellenbosch for a vineyard tour.

We're also planning a day trip to Soweto, possibly catching a show one night, some museum visits, and of course, going to Kruger National Park to go on safari! That will be during the second week there, and I am really looking forward to that. We'll be staying at this beautiful place called the Bongani Mountain Lodge. We get our own little hut with a thatch roof. As well as armed guards to walk with you after dusk so you don't get eaten, as there are no fences around the lodge, you are just out in the bush.

I've gotten my necessary shots, my prescription for anti-malaria, so all that is taken care of. Less than two weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment